Friday, June 09, 2006

"Teaching" a class


Since my last update, I managed to "teach" a class and travel to Nandaime for a volunteer visit.

As part of our training, we are required to give three or four lessons at one of the local schools in Niquinohomo. The trainees are able to pick the lesson and the class lasts 45 minutes. Easy enough in English, but in Spanish it's another story. If you could hear my Spanish you would laugh at the thought of me teaching a lesson on self-esteem in front of 45-60 sixteen year olds. To add to the problem, the classrooms sit back to back in one building with thin walls and lots of windows, allowing lots of noise to pass through and students to sit outside of the classroom whistling, talking to students in class, and laughing at the instructor.

Other than the environment my class actually went fairly well considering my language ability. We played two games that took up most of the time period and my speaking part was generally scripted out. It also helps that the students are interested in you (at least the first time) and are willing to listen to what the gringo has to say. But, it was scarry getting in front of a class and trying to teach in a second language. I have a lot more respect for the foreign GSI's that I had in college. Brent, give them a break in your next class. It's not easy.

This past week I visited a volunteer in Nandaime, a city about an hour away from Niquinohomo. The visit was for us to get an idea of what it will be like working in the schools, working on secondary projects, and living on our own. It was also a nice break from our training routine and language classes.

The volunteer I stayed with had a fairly large house with two rooms and a porch in the back. The two rooms had nothing except his bike. A bed sat in the middle of his porch and a plastic chair sat in the corner. That was it. He had a broken sink and a toilet that semi-worked, but nothing else. I slept on the floor with a small sleeping bag and a jacket as a pillow, and we traded the chair back and forth through the three days. Despite the living conditions, the visit was pretty cool.

On Monday we rode bikes on dirt roads into the country, crossing two or three rivers and stumbling upon different trails. I haven't seen much outside of the small towns I've visited, so it was cool to see a completely different environment and landscape. Tuesday and Wednesday we spent at the school teaching classes and meeting his students. It was cool to see the actual class and subject that I'll be teaching in a few months.

I learned a lot spending a few days outside of training. Mostly, that it's going to be hard moving to a new town without the safety net of other volunteers within your site. Finding housing, projects, friends, etc. will be a tough task to complete on your own. Especially after establishing a home in my training town. I've become comfortable with my town, my family, and my friends (despite my spanish). It'll be hard to leave and adjust again.

This next week we're busy with our youth group and another class at the school. I'm staying healthy (somehow I didn't get sick after eating trash food and drinking tap water for the weekend) and happy.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:02 PM

    WHAT UP DAVE!!

    It's Dave Whitman. Just wantedto say what's up hope that things are going well for you and you aren't finding the language barrier too large of an obstacle.

    I enjoyed reading about your adventures and especially like your thoughts on D-Town as I seem to be spending alot of time traveleling back there and staying downtown I completely agree with you that there is so much potential to that city.

    Best of luck to you and see you sometime when you re-pat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:58 PM

    Hey Slugger!!!

    What a little gem this blog is. Let me tell you its a nice break after working with a 300lb man that smells like rotten hamburger.

    So anyways it sounds like you are doing really well in your new environment...I love your stories. If things ever get too frustrating just remember Brookland is the place where the whoopies CHILL.

    Next time I see Abe I'll give him a nip for you:)

    xoxo,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:04 PM

    Well, well, well, if it isn't Natalie and D-Whit (Cheerio?) and I all commenting on the same page. Big kids rule. Little kids go to Nicaragua.

    Sounds like things are still going well. Mom told me of your adventurous eating at the market. Speaking of trash meal, I had some Taco Bell the other day.

    Mom and Dad visted last weekend. They loved the Farmer's Market. They went there both days super early of course. They also kept commenting that they were reminded of Toronto. I think it is because LA is so multi-culti. At least more than Phoenix. We also went to Griffith Park and to Venice Beach. They even came downtown after El Coyote and we went to the Golden Gopher. Did you and Jake come there with us? I know Tom Campion did when he was here.

    Speaking of Tom C., I get to take a trip sometime for work and I might go to Nashville. I'll look him up if I do.

    Looking forward to the next Nicarauga installment!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:48 PM

    hey dave glad to hear everything is good. Mostly your stomach hasn't given you any problems. Do you have any post office box for mail? Anywho I live with todd so it's kinda like high school again minus of course you. Keep in touch todd and i are still planning on coming to visit(when is not sure, but we have time). Stay strong eat some beans and be marry. have a victoria for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:28 PM

    Dave I am glad you are doing well. I have really enjoyed keeping up with you on this...well played. I know that you are struggling with the language barrier but you should take a page from my book. All you need to say really is Si and when the kids are enjoying your lesson I would go with "uno mas tiempo!"

    Keep up the good work, let me know if you get a po box, I have a little suprise in store...

    Todd K

    ReplyDelete