Saturday, May 27, 2006

Nicaragua Week 3


Week 3 and things are starting to get to be more of a routine. My spanish is still fairly bad, but I'm a little more comfortable with my family and my town. Through the last week, some notable events:

As part of our training period, my group of trainees in Niquinohomo are required to work with a youth group on a project within the town. Our first meeting was last week, and it marked the first time that we had to give a presentation in Spanish. For the most part, our parts were scripted out and rehearsed, but it went fine, and the group was more than patient and helpful.

We will continue to meet with the group for the next 8 weeks, working on a project that they decide to do. So far, we've been lucky, as our group has shown interest and done a lot of the work by themselves. Considering our Spanish level, we're grateful for their initial ambition.

Last weekend I went with family and friends to San Jorge, a town on Lake Nicaragua. All 23 of us rode in the back of a UHaul-type truck, sitting in lawn chairs, for the hour or so long drive. The beach was fairly nice and was surrounded by two volcanoes in the distance, making it a nice spot to spend an afternoon.

I also was attacked by a dog this past week. At my house, I essentially back up to a compound-like area that holds four or five homes for the entire family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents). In the middle of this compound is four or five dogs that either roam around or are chained up on trees, sinks, cars, etc. During the day, the dogs aren't a problem and I'm free to walk around the place. As night falls, however, a family member walks me through the compound so that the dogs don't attack/bark at the unfamiliar face.

Anyway, I was walking back to get my dinner one night when I get to the area that the largest dog is normally chained up. I realize I'm rather close to this area and that it's beginning to get dark. At this moment, I see the dog charging from underneath a sink with mouth open and fangs showing. I jump out of the way, just in time for the dog to rip my pant leg but miss my leg. It was a scarry moment, but not quite as scarry as the sounds I heard coming from the dog as it was punished by an older woman after the poor dog had done what it was trained to do. The worst part is that I'm down to two pairs of pants...one of which currently has gum all over the butt after I sat in something on the circa-1988 school bus that functions as public transportation.

Other than that and a large unidentifiable bug on the inside of my mosquito net last night, things are fairly normal and quiet. This next week we continue with classes and on Wednesday I teach my first class at the local high school. How I will do this with my language ability, I'm not quite sure, but I'll let you know in a week. Next weekend we leave our training towns for half a week to visit a volunteer at site which will be a welcome break and a nice way to figure out what it'll be like after I leave my training town in 7 weeks.

Things I want: An afternoon game at Comerica Park to watch the first place Detroit Tigers.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:37 PM

    In response to your alleged "pants problem" I would suggest going wife-beater and speedo with workboots, a la Karsten Sielbak. Not only is it more comfortable than "traditional clothing," but you could actually start a new trend in a developing country.
    As far as your language issues go, when you don't understand something someone says to you just respond with the universally known "Salud!" (I'll let you fill in the rest in the interest of decency.) I'm currently working on a 20 page paper in an attempt to get onto the law review at DU. Its starting to make me wish the US was ruled my marshal law and attack dogs when I think about the different death penalty statutes and techniques for determining who "gets" to die.
    Keep your head up and your pants off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:02 PM

    Hi David:

    Sounds like you're having quite an adventure. Good luck teaching your class. Looking forward to reading your next installment. Take care,

    Aunt Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:49 PM

    Hey. Jake has some good points up there. Mom told me about the dog incident and said she was as shaken up as you were about it! Sounds like everything is going ok, though, eh? Scarier than the dog, to me, would be riding in the back of a truck in lawn chairs. If that isn't a disaster story made for the eleven o'clock news on UPN 13 in LA, I don't know what is. Mom and Dad are coming out here to visit next weekend. Wish you could be here, too. We'll probably do El Coyote, Griffith Park, all the usual. Haven't decided if I'll take them to K-Town yet. Miss you! Talk to you soon.

    "Two margaritas and a shot, that's more money than I got."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:40 PM

    How's the food? If the dog continues to attack you, maybe you can eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:36 AM

    Hi David,
    Sounds like a book in the making. The dog incident was really scary -maybe you should have taken Tucker with you! Love reading your adventures - take good care.
    p.s. The Blue Jays are sneaking up on your first place Tigers!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:10 AM

    The Blue Jays aren't in the same division as the Tigers, FYI.

    ReplyDelete