Thursday, November 03, 2005

Rosa Parks


On Wednesday I drove to Detroit to pay my respects to the woman who helped change our nation. I was anticipating a long line for the public viewing, but not quite as long as the 3 hours I had to wait.

I parked about three blocks away from the Charles H. Wright Museum where she was lying in honor. The line wrapped around about two or three city blocks, but it was moving steadily. As we turned the last corner before the museum entrance we were greeted with a Cedar Point style line, wrapping back and forth five times before the final few steps to the entrance. It added at least another hour to the wait (and was discouraging to see after a wait already two hours long), but again, we were always moving.

The whole experience outside had a very festival type feel to it. There were kids running around, climbing trees and fences, throwing rocks at each other, all in an attempt to stave off the restlessness that mounted as their parents dragged them through the line. The kid behind me didn't understand why he and his mom couldn't come back the next day when the line was shorter. A tent was set up handing out free coffee and hot cider. My favorite was the seven or eight hawkers wandering throughout the line selling $15 tshirts with pictures of Rosa Parks throughout her life. They appeared to be of the homemade, iron-on tshirt variety.

Anyway, after a three hour wait, we finally made it into the museum. They handed everyone a small card with Rosa Parks' picture on the front and a brief biograhpy on the back. A gospel group was singing, drowning out what I imagine would have been a strangely quiet lobby, and potraits of Rosa Parks lined the ropes up to the coffin. No sooner than I realized that I was finally inside, we were shuffling past the open casket of Rosa Parks and quickly exiting the museum. The short time inside was worth it though, and I'm glad I decided to go.

I was a bit surprised and saddened that I was one of a small number of white people that I saw while waiting. I would say that 98% of those at the public viewing were black. Detroit is 85% black and it was a cold, weekday night, but I guess I expected a more diverse crowd to honor a national hero.

Brian Emeott told me to watch some of the speeches given at the funeral services on Wednesday. Some great comments and inspiring words. Check out Jennifer Granholm's excellent speech here.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:21 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete