Monday, November 14, 2005

Black October


There were some really good articles in this Sunday's edition of the Detroit News/Free Press. I've read a lot of excellent columns in the aftermath of Kwame Kilpatrick's victory in the Detroit mayoral campaign, but Mitch Albom's column was particularly inspiring/frightening. Brian Emeott sent me this column on Sunday with the paragraph about St. Louis highlighted. Scary. No time for pointing fingers. No time for hostilities.

The Detroit News' summary (Also, take a close look at the first, small photo on the right. That's right, Flint's Angelo's Coney Island.) of events that took place in October reminded me why so many of my mornings are ruined after reading the Detroit papers. These are really volatile times, and it doesn't look like it's going to get better. The day that Delphi filed for bankruptcy and demanded wage cuts to $9-10/hour for its unionized workers, I bought Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat. The book is a current favorite now, but I think that my fear for Flint, Detroit, and Michigan has only grown. My fear though has yet to eclipse my optimism.

No comments:

Post a Comment