Sunday, January 13, 2013

A 2013 wish

It was exactly two years ago that I quit my life and job in Chicago and boarded a plane to Kenya. In certain ways it doesn’t seem that long ago and yet my life has changed so drastically from that point that it’s hard to imagine that it’s only been a couple of years. Reflecting back on my decisions to move to Kenya to work with KickStart and to subsequently go through Code Academy in Chicago, it’s hard to believe that I was close to deciding against both. And the thought that I could very easily still be in Chicago working within the online marketing industry, if not for a couple of decisions that at the time felt a bit reckless, leaves me so very confident that giving up on the well laid out professional track I had before me in Chicago was the right move. Both experiences were great reminders of how enjoyable life can be when I actively make decisions about what I desire rather than simply sliding into something without much intentional thought or behavior.

Two years ago I didn’t really know what I was looking for in Kenya, I just knew that my job in Chicago wasn’t something I wanted to do for long and certainly wasn’t close to work I loved. And I trusted that my intuition might know where it was going. Two years later, I enter 2013 with more confidence and excitement than any previous year and doing work that feels right. May the next two years be as exciting, worthwhile, and meaningful as the last two.

No comments:

Post a Comment